Friday, April 4, 2014

7 Quick Takes Friday




Today is the ultrasound at my doctor's office!  I'm pretty much a bundle of nerves.  I'm counting the minutes when I will hopefully see that little figure appear on the screen with a strong little heartbeat.

 

Earlier in this week Grumpa was sitting with Maggie singing to her.  He sang Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and Head, and Shoulders, Knees, and Toes and then began to sing Mary had a Little Lamb (which is one we read in her nursery rhyme book occasionally but isn't one she usually does in therapy).  When he finished singing it she looked at him and said in her clear little voice: "Mary had a baby!"

It's another example of her paying attention when I had no idea she was listening!  She'll hardly sit still long enough for me to read our little preschool Bible, but apparently through her non-stop motion she has been listening.



As a continuation of Autism Awareness Month I thought I'd share the most horrifying thing I've seen thus far in April.  At a conference in Chicago a "cure" for autism was being pedaled that was basically having children drink bleach and be given bleach enemas.

Don't worry if your child gets sick, they told parents.  That just means it's working.

This is one of the reasons that the push for autism acceptance, rather than just "awareness" is so near and dear to my heart.  There's a great deal of fear mongering out there and that fear mongering very often leads to the dehumanization of people who are on the spectrum.

Most parents wouldn't even consider having their child drink bleach... but parent's are often desperate (and I do believe that desperation often goes hand in hand with listening to the dialogue that's out there that says that autism will destroy your life from certain groups who I'll try not to name over and over again) and there are people out there taking advantage of that desperation.  Unfortunately this particular brand of snake oil is exceptionally dangerous.

I've discovered one of my favorite things about living in a college town (okay, it would have to be one of my favorite things after all the deeply discounted plays and ballets that we've been able to go to).  Studies.  First there was the 12 week autism study we were involved in.  Then at my last doctor's appointment I was asked if after the appointment I'd go into another room and answer questions about pregnancy and exercise for 10 minutes for a $10 gift card to Target.  And, because apparently I ramble on and on about pregnancy, that researcher took down my name and asked if I'd be part of a second study, which will involve answering questions about the same topic for an hour and a half for a $40 giftcard.

And since I could pretty much talk about being pregnant all day long, and this will mean talking to a grown up for more than a few minutes a day (with finals in sight that doesn't happen very often these days) I'm pretty excited about it.

After seven months Mae finally made it to the top of the OT list and she got the occupational therapist that one of her other therapists had been pushing for (someone good at sensory stuff).  I was so excited when we got the call!  So we go in next Friday for her first evaluation and to get the ball rolling.  Finally!  I don't really care when we finally make it to the top of the speech list, because her speech is coming along really well with her other therapists, but I have been impatiently waiting for OT since it's so obvious that she needs a good sensory OT!



The other day Patrick came over and handed me a shoe... and then another shoe.  I put them on him and he brought over Sadie's denim jacket and insisted on wearing it.  Once I put that on him he lugged my jacket across the room and handed it to me (do you see where this is going? I didn't).  I tried to put it on him, because I thought that's what he wanted, but he started to sob until I realized I was supposed to be wearing it.  So I put it on and he grabbed my hand and hauled me over to the door and said "We-go-out" all in one stream of words and then pointed to the lock and looked at me expectantly.

A few days of warm temperatures and the kids definitely have spring fever.



UPS just sent me an alert to let me know that 16 lbs of Michigan wool will be arriving at my door today.  I'm super excited.  Sadie and I have big plans (Sadie was the one who followed me into the kitchen and reminded me to call and order it after we found a really, really good price on wool locally that was like 1/3 of the price I usually see online).  Now I just have to finish all the other things on my to do list and get everything in the mail that needs to be in the mail before I can turn my full attention to it... and that might take a little while!



For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

2 comments:

  1. It is horrifying to hear of the dangerous extremes to which some parents will go in what they perceive to be a quest to cure their children. Forcing a child to drink bleach? Just mind-boggling. I think there is a special place in hell for the money-grubbing quacks who foist this stuff on gullible and desperate people. (Do you hear me, Jenny McCarthy?)

    It also speaks to the desperation felt by many parents of children who are non-verbal and sometimes violent with others and themselves. Many of them also lack access to adequate programs and research. I've seen the anguish felt by the one family I know with a severely autistic son, knowing there are programs and help in other states, but not nearly enough here. Very sad, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is very sad that people are manipulated that way. I am very blessed that my son is so high on the spectrum and not violent at all. I feel for those who deal with children with violent tendencies. I pray for them daily. I am so glad that there are opportunities for you to get gift cards like that. I am also glad that Mae is going to get her therapy :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!