Thursday, July 26, 2012

Working Out the Details: (and trying not to panic!)

I am entering back into panic mode at the moment.

I finished and packaged every order left on my stores yesterday.  Then I hauled out the giant vacuum seal bags that I'd ordered, packed up the fabric I have left, and the remaining snoods and used the vacuum to shrink the bags down to travel sized... and I have to say, those vacuum bags, even the really super cheap ones that feel like they'll fall apart when you pick them up when they're empty, work really, really well (they felt much sturdier when they were actually full and compressed).

I did leave out the still pinned but not yet sewn sewing projects, and I have a bag full of snoods just waiting to be hand stitched while we're in the car, all ready to go.  I think I'll sew tonight after everyone's gone to bed, just to decompress, since sewing helps me relax.

Tonight after the girls go to sleep we'll clean out the van and start figuring out how to fit everything back into it, after two birthdays, and with quite a few more toys and books than we arrived with (I'm to blame for the books!  We found boxes of the books I loved when I was little and I'll be trying to create a bottom layer of books in the car so that they can make the return trip).

Paul also sent me an email from an apartment complex with an online application, that will work with us on a short term rent deal... So I'm praying that goes through quickly, so we have an address to move to and forward mail, before we actually arrive in Michigan.

You'd think I'd have relaxed about this whole moving thing after doing it so often.  In slightly over two years this will be our fourth move... So we're averaging a move every 6 months.  Move #1 was at 9 months pregnant (into a filthy apartment with lipstick smeared on the wall... if you recall... that required me to scrub pretty much every surface before we could unpack...).  During Move #2 I was wrangling a two and a half year old and a six month old.  Move #3 was when I was 3 months pregnant (and found out the baby was distressed the night we finished packing the U-haul... although the doctors have all assured me that had nothing to do with it.).  And now, for Move #4 I'll be 6 months pregnant and unable to lift anything at all (Paul pointed out last night that I'm absolutely not allowed to move the condensed bags of fabric since they're much heavier than they look... right before I pointed out that they'd magically made their way out into the hallway a few minutes earlier, and hadn't felt all that heavy to me...).  And Move #5 will hopefully be in the next six months, since I'd be willing to suck it up and move yet again, in order to have our own home (hopefully that will be a more gradual move).

Move #4, however, is why the panic of Oh-my-goodness-there's-so-much-to-do-and-so-little-time-and-this-is-going-to-cost-a-fortune has set in.

Deep breath.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a lot done during nap time today....

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an adventure!

    I'm sure everything will work out. It sounds like you've got this moving thing down. I know how you feel. We've made three big moves in the past four years. It's not fun, but it is an adventure!

    p.s. don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving cross country is tough. We did it twice in one year. It can be done, but be prepared to sleep A LOT once you're into your new house. Hopefully this baby will be very calm!

    Ask for help! I bet there are mamas / grandmamas that would come and help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to cyber-yell at you even though I know you have plenty of people around to do it- you take care of that baby!!!! Everything else is just things that you may or may not miss- but you take care of you, the baby, and the girls, and hubby!!!!

    This is what I was told when I didn't feel I did enough work on our move (sans the baby part).

    Make sure they have food and water and take regular breaks- these things are way more important than you realize!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!