Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Newest Craft...

Needle Felting.  I hadn't even heard of this particular corner of the crafting world a month ago.  I stumbled upon it while searching for drop spindles on etsy.  Some part of my brain was demanding a new crafting challenge to fill the ten minutes of not quite free crafting time I have sometimes on Friday nights between 10:35 and 10:45 (on those nights when I don't pass out at 7:30 because of the whole pregnancy exhaustion thing) and since I knew Paul wasn't going to be okay with the giant purchase of a spinning wheel (although I'm pretty sure Sadie would be on board) I thought I might be able to convince him to get me a drop spindle so I could spin my own yarn (Paul is reading this somewhere thinking, "Why on Earth would she want to know how to spin her own yarn?!?!" followed by the bothersome thought that next I'd be asking for my own sheep to produce wool...).  So my second step, after finding a drop spindle that seemed reasonable (to someone who knew nothing about drop spindles) I began researching wool.  And then I completely forgot about spindles and spinning.

I was hooked.

Needle felting basically involves poking a lump of wool repeatedly with a needle, on a foam pad, until it turns into the shape you want it to be.

After wasting a few hours gazing at pictures of needle felting dolls I ordered some basic supplies and impatiently waited or their arrival.

The next thing I knew I was stabbing my finger repeatedly with a barbed needle (which is unpleasant by the way) while realizing that the instructions to not look away when I was needle felting were slightly more difficult than it looked (especially when I was needle felting with the tv on after everyone went to bed).  I'm slowly getting better at not spearing my thumb and I'm excited about how my first projects are turning out.

And of course, I just had to share them here.

Presenting my first needle felting project:

The Penguin:


Project #2:  Mary:


And Project #3:  Sleeping Beauty:


Now to get back to work!  I may have some new saint dolls in my shop soon!

2 comments:

  1. I love needle felting! I have mostly given it up due to lack of time but there are few things as relaxing as poking a needle a billion times into a ball of wool...lol. Here's one of my creations that I sold to a customer in New Zealand: http://mamaslittleditty.blogspot.com/2009/03/distractions.html

    I started making this wet felted rosary but, truth be told, I ran out of time and steam. http://mamaslittleditty.blogspot.com/2009/11/homemade-christmas-week-1-felted-rosary.html

    I love your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Love The Penguin.
    the girls are so adorable

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!