Sunday, July 11, 2010

Broccoli Soup: Freezer Cooking Recipe #1

Maggie's early arrival meant that my cupboards were almost bare when she got here (I was supposed to go shopping on Monday morning and she arrived Sunday!). It also meant that my first foray into freezer cooking was put on hold. Today we braved the 103+ degree heat (or avoided it by leaving the house at 7:30 am) and made the drive into the city to do food shopping.

Since there won't be a single day available any time soon to cook a months worth of meals, I've decided to make one huge meal each day at nap time (Sadie and Maggie nap at the same time so far, which is such a blessing!) and today I was able to freeze four meals for our family. Here's the recipe I used:

Broccoli Soup:
2 onions, chopped
1 cup butter
6 12 oz cups evaporated milk
2 20 0z pkgs frozen broccoli, cooked
6 10 0z cans cream of mushroom soup
2 16 oz jars Mexican process cheese sauce

Saute onions in butter until tender; spoon into slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low setting for 2 to 3 hours, until heated through.

The original recipe, which I doubled, was in one of my mom's country casserole cookbooks and is by Angela Britton.

We ended up with enough soup to almost fill four gallon freezer bags and it tastes great! Tomorrow I'll be making one of my favorite recipes: Chicken Bulgur Shila!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're posting this. I'm about to start doing freezer meals too. We have the room now, but more importantly I'm floundering w/ meals lately. I can't keep this up, something has to change and making freezer meals seems the most practical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe - I have a lot of broccoli I need to use up. Your story about freezer cooking reminds me of my first time. I had the date planned and shopping list done, then found out I was pg with #2. We decided to still do the cooking day and my husband helped immensely, but I suffered bad 1st tri nausea and would have rather not spent the day in the kitchen smelling food! Yes, babies don't always pick the best timing :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!