Saturday, December 19, 2009

Head Covering of the Week

Today's Head Covering of the Week isn't a covering that I would wear to Mass, because it doesn't really cover very much. It's really a result of my experimentation with day to day headcovering while I'm at home being a mom. I'm big on practicality and I've been experimenting with different ways to keep my head covered. Someone suggested Tznius.com which sells "Modest Clothing, Headscarf and Jewish Clothing." My favorite part so far (since my headcovering budget is currently exhausted) is the Head Scarf tying instructions section.

I started by trying "The Bun" wrap. The scarf that I was using was ridiculously slick and slippery and just wasn't working for me. I pinned it on both sides in an attempt to make it stay (because the wrap really was cute!) but the scarf even managed to slip out of the pins. I'm going to have to try it again with a different, less shiny scarf. However, when I tried to pull the covering off my head later in the day I discovered something. It was stuck in place around my bun. I glanced in the mirror and liked what I saw. Actually what I really liked was how well it kept my hair up and back.

Baby steps! I'm still discerning when and where to cover and how much of my head is going to be covered on days when I'm home, when I'm out and when I'm at Mass (okay the Mass part I already know, it's the other parts I'm figuring out!). If I could remember to cover my head every time I prayed I probably wouldn't be giving as much thought to covering full time. But since I hardly ever remember as I go about my day, if I don't do it at the start, it makes me consider covering each morning after I get! I guess we'll see where it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!