Monday, August 17, 2009

The Great Dress Experiment

I did it. I wore dresses and skirts every day for one month. Before this experiment I usually wore pants half the time. If we were leaving the property during the course of the day I would wear a dress. If we weren't leaving I'd wear pants.

This experiment will definitely cause me to look at new dresses in a different way (during the once a year dress buying expedition that usually takes place after my birthday). Dresses that are fine to wear for a few hours when we go into town for Mass may not be comfortable to wear all day, particularly if I'm going to be working outside in the garden or hiking through the hills. Certain dresses also proved much easier to wear when I am down on the floor playing with Sadie.

The dresses and skirts that were the easiest to wear were all cotton. They were mostly on the longer side. I also ended up wearing the skirts that were wider at the bottom more often because I could take longer steps when I was chasing after the little one.

Interestingly enough, the two skirts that I spent most of my time in cost me a grand total of $1. One was a yard sale find and the other was a hand me down from my mom. Also at the top of the list was a blue Maxi dress from Target.

Dresses lost comfort points for all day wear when they had a non-cotton liner. I noticed a lot of the liners would have annoying static cling after the first hour. I don't have time to deal with static cling when I'm chasing a toddler all day long.

I wanted to post a picture of my favorite skirts, but that will have to wait until tomorrow when our satellite internet will, hopefully, be working at full speed.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I found a link to your blog on the CAF. I'm 26, married, Catholic, practice NFP, stay-at-home mom, and have a ridiculously sweet one-year old boy - we live in Oregon. I've really enjoyed reading your blog! So much of what you stay sounds like me. :-)

    About two months ago I also conducted a "dress experiemnt." My goal was one week, and I ended up wearing them for two straight weeks. It was wonderful! I have far more dresses and skirts than pants, so it was very easy. :-)

    Anway, just wanted to comment on your awesome blog. Keep up the great work!

    God Bless,
    ~Stephanie~

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I read every single comment that comes in (and I try to respond when the little ones aren't distracting me to the point that it's impossible!). Please show kindness to each other and our family in the comment box. After all, we're all real people on the other side of the screen!